GMCW Seeks Assistant Conductor
Federal City Performing Arts Association dba Gay Men’s Chorus of Washington, DC (GMCW) seeks applications for the part-time position of Assistant Conductor. Responsibilities include director of its outreach ensemble Seasons of Love (SOL), to provide artistic leadership and vision for the ensemble. GMCW seeks a targeted start date no later than November 4, 2019. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until October 18, 2019.
About the Position:
The successful candidate will have thorough knowledge of choral music, with emphasis on the gospel and inspirational music genre, and proven experience conducting and teaching a volunteer chorus. They will have the ability to take the ensemble to a unique, innovative, and consistently high level of artistry. It is expected they will work in a collaborative environment with GMCW staff, the Board of Directors, and will be a part of the greater Washington, DC and national arts and LGBTQ+ communities.
Compensation is commensurate with experience. The Assistant Conductor will:
- Attend weekly GMCW rehearsals (Sundays, 6-9 pm, September - June) and be familiar with its repertoire for the purpose of subbing rehearsals and performances as necessary
- Rehearse a selection of repertoire in weekly SOL rehearsals (Tuesdays, 7-9 pm, September – June) for main stage and outreach performances, and conduct the ensemble as necessary
- Provide a positive and affirming musical experience for the chorus members at rehearsals and performances
- Be knowledgeable about TTBB repertoire, and have the ability to create new arrangements
- Work with volunteer leaders
- Select soloists and instrumentalists for SOL as needed
- Audition potential new singers for SOL
- Work with other musical and artistic organizations in collaborative efforts
- Engage multiple communities through programming and outreach efforts
- Lead long-term artistic planning, collaborating with GMCW’s Artistic Director as it pertains to programming
Keyboard skills a plus.
Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest, Curriculum Vitae, and references to email@example.com on or before October 18, 2019. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. GMCW does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, ethnicity, religion, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, gender, marital status, disability, or status as a US veteran. Final applicants will be subject to a background check.
To read more about GMCW and the position, click HERE.